How we started
- A group of people at, what was then called King’s Church, had a thought!
- They went to the council seeking to serve the community.
- They were invited to take on the council’s initiative to pass reusable furniture to those in need.
- With some garages and a trailer, they started distributing furniture at weekends.
- Soon the Lighthouse began and it grew…
- Bigger and BIGGER and BIGGER
25 Years On
We have helped over 15,000 families & individuals and diverted more than 4000 tonnes from landfill
That equates to 81,632 SOFAS which if on top of each other, would reach 38.5 MILES HIGH!!
Day to Day We.....
- Support those in need by providing items for those that have no way of affording it otherwise
- Collect furniture donated to us in Brentwood as well as many of the surrounding towns
- Sell furniture from our warehouse to EVERYONE
- Deliver furniture to customers
- Work in partnership with the Council and over 50 agencies to support the community
We are also dedicated to helping other charities start their own projects
- In January 2012 Hopeworx based in Rayleigh, asked us to help them start a reuse project. After a very busy 6 months we opened in June and successfully grew providing for families in the Castlepoint and Rochford Districts. In 2014 they became an independent charity and continue to thrive today.
- Another group asked us to help start a reuse project in Epping, and so Epping Forest ReUSE was born. They became an independent charity in 2017.
- TCL was the third reuse centre based in Ilford who are now running independently.
- Will there be another? Watch this space!